One can really appreciate the rich history and culture of the Cuyahoga Valley, by visiting some of the many important locations in the region.

Visitor Centers

The first stops that someone may want to visit, are the several visitor centers that are located at different points in the Cuyahoga Valley.

Perhaps the most common of all the visitor centers is the Boston Store. In the year 1836, several brothers by the name of Kelley, moved to the Cuyahoga Valley area. They decided on this, based upon news of a speculated fortune that could be made by someone who could sell their wares on the banks of the Ohio and Erie Canal. As this was a major aquatic thoroughfare, they established the Boston Store alongside the Canal. The building had a store, and on the floor above, it contained several rooms where local dock hands could pay to stay. After going through many changes in the function of the edifice through the years, it finally became the home of the visitor center we have today. One can learn about the history of this building, and the general area, at the Boston Store Visitor Center.

Another popular visitor center is the Canal Exploration Center. It specializes on focusing at the history and impact of the Canal on the region.


Due to the fact that the Cuyahoga Valley region enjoyed incredible financial success at the beginning of the 19th century, it’s no surprise that there were dozens of large mills producing and manufacturing different items in the area. All the mills at that time were built to the highest standard, and housed the most modern of machinery.

One example is the Alexander Mill. This mill, which was originally employed to mill grist, was established in the 1850’s. At the turn of the 20th century, the mill was sold to the Wilson family, and carries their name until today. The Wilson Feed Mill can be visited throughout the year, and one can learn all about the milling techniques of that important time period in American History.

Another mill that would be of interest is the Jatie Mill. This mill was only built in 1906, but is still a great resource of information for that time period.